New model: version 2!
New model seed grow kit Metasequoia - Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Grow your own Metasequoia from a seed!
During 2020 we developed and tested a new seed grow kit. The new model seed grow kit has a number of advantages over the previous version. This new model seed grow kit again contains everything you need to grow this special Metasequoia from a seed to the largest tree on earth. The Metasequoia is known by a variety of names such as Dawn Redwood, Dawn Sequoia, Chinese Sequoia and Metasequoia glyptostroboides. The Metasequoia was not discovered in living form until 1941 after fossils of this tree were found in clay layers in 1939-1940. Together they are the last three living species of the "Sequoioideae" family. They well in a variety of locations and climatic zones including the UK, The Netherlands, France, Belgium, Germany,Austria, Luxembourg and Poland.
Grow your own Metasequoia!
About the new seed grow kit model
In 2020 we put together and tested a new seed grow kit. The new seed grow kit offers a number of advantages over the previous version. The most noticeable differences to the earlier version of the sowing set:
- The new mini greenhouse is available in both a round shape and an "eye shape" (oval)
- The new mini greenhouse has a slightly larger cultivation area due to its larger diameter (~ 29 cm2 instead of ~ 20 cm2)
- Due to the larger diameter, additional germinating seeds are easier to reach (round: ~ 6 cm, eye shape: ~ 7.4 cm x ~ 5 cm)
- Slightly higher mini greenhouse (~ 15 cm instead of ~ 10 cm)
- A larger amount of culture medium so that the germinated seeds can grow a little longer in the mini greenhouse
- The new mini greenhouse can be shipped flat
- Despite the larger mini greenhouse and a larger amount of growing medium and perlite, the price has stayed the same
About the Metasequoia
The Metasequoia can reach a height of 40-45 meters. In Europe the highest specimens are currently around 25 meters. As these were only planted in Europe after their discovery in 1941. Fossils of the Sequoioideae family have been found in many places in the Northern Hemisphere, including in what is now Western Europe. The trunk diameter can reach more than 2 meters, but that will of course take many years. The Metasequoia drops relatively few needles (leaves). They can withstand frost but are not resistant to spring night frosts, especially the young trees. This Asian conifer is very similar to the North American bald cypress (Taxodium distichum).
Metasequoias are fast growers. They look great in larger gardens and parks. The specimens found in the wild are mainly found on fairly moist soil, but they also tolerate dry soil. The Metasequoia, like the two other relatives, the Giant Sequoia and the Coastal Redwood, can rightly be called a living fossil. The Metasequoia is on the IUCN list of endangered tree species.
About the Redwoodking seed grow kits, wih 100% germination guarantee
- This growth kit contains everything you need to grow this special Metasequoia from a seed to the largest tree in terms of volume on earth: seeds, growing medium, perlite, a mini greenhouse and detailed instructions.
- The detailed sowing instructions are in English for UK customers.
- If you encounter problems during the cultivation of your tree, please contact us immediately.
- 100% germination guarantee - if none of your seeds unexpectedly don't germinate, we will send you free replacement seeds for for only the shipping fee of 2.50 euros.
Fun, fascinating and educational - great for children, adults, amateurs and professionals! A universal symbol of life, new beginnings, future, past, vision and beauty.
A great gift whose value and beauty increases every year.