About Sequoia trees
Each young tree has a unique number and is shown with its own photos and (cultivation) characteristics!
The Sequoia trees, also known as Redwoods or mammoth trees, are beautiful trees and have been present on Earth for more than 140 million years. Redwoodking is fascinated by and specializes in the Giant Sequoia, the Coastal Redwood and Metasequoia trees. These are the last three living species of the “Sequoioideae” family. The magnificent Giant Sequoias and Coastal Redwoods have multiple names:
- The Giant Sequoia is also called Giant Redwood, Sierra Redwood, Wellingtonia or Sequoiadendron giganteum.
- The Coastal Redwood is also called Coast Sequoia, Coast Redwood, Coastal Sequoia, Californian Redwood or Sequoia sempervirens.
- The Metasequoia is also called Dawn Redwood, Dawn Sequoia, Chinese Sequoia or Metasequoia glyptostroboides.
Although these trees were already to be found on the European continent over 140 miljon years ago, they had disappeared there after the last ice age. Nowadays these magnificent trees are again to found on many different locations in Europa. The Giant Sequoia and Coastal Redwood trees belong to the oldest, highest and biggest tress on earth. They are so-called Evergreen trees, staying green leaves all year around. The Metasequoia however loses its needles in winter. As very fast growers Redwoods are capable of processing a lot of CO2, releasing oxygen (O2) and storing carbon (C).
Sequoia trees - Redwood trees are impressive, facinating and beautiful trees. You can breed them yourself from a seed or plant a young seedling. Either way, it's a rewarding experience and result. Redwood trees are also used for Bonsai tree growth.
A young Giant Sequoia or Coastal Redwood or seed grow kit is a great gift, birth gift or promotional gift. Unique, sustainable, focused on the future and it is a very beautiful tree.
Sowing or planting your own Sequoia tree or Redwood tree is fun and not difficult.
- Want to know more about repotting or planting young Sequoia trees and Redwood trees? click here
- Want to know more about growing Sequoia trees and Redwood trees from seeds with our seed grow kit? click here
- Click here to buy a Sequoia or Redwood seed grow kit and grow this fantastic tree yourself
- Click here to buy a young Sequoia or Redwood seedling for a quick start
February 17th 2021: Metasequoia seed grow kits and packs of seeds added to the assortment.
After the introduction of the new version, slightly larger, seeding kits for the Giant Sequoia and Coastal Redwood, this seed grow kit is now also available for the Metasequoia. The Metasequoia is known by different names such as Water Cypress, Chinese Giant Sequoia, Dawn Sequoia, Metasequoia and Metasequoia glyptostroboides. The Metasequoia was not discovered in living form until 1941. Click here to read the whole article.
January 5th 2021: Introduction of our new and slightly larger seed grow kit
Today we are introducing our new version of the Giant Sequoia and Coastal Redwood seed grow kits. During 2020 we developed and tested a new version of the seed grow kit. The new seeding kit has a number of advantages over the previous version. Click here to read the whole article.
January 4th 2021: Bag with 1 liter perlite added to the range
In response to several questions from customers, we have added bags of 1 liter perlite to our range. They can be found under the heading "Seeds and Nutrients". Click here to read the whole article.
Our young trees are shipped in 2L pots
The potting soil containts the right nutirents for many months